Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Books, And Cases, And Tables, And...My Toe?

These are my bookcases with things on them:


Notice there is a floor. Notice also there is a couch.

These are my toes:


See if you can guess which foot had a very large piece of lumber fall on it three days ago.

Notice also a conspicuous lack of swelling. I'm not sure exactly what the deal is, but I did take 4 ibuprofen pills as soon as it happened, following up with 2 more periodically. The idea was less to kill the pain as much as it was to prevent swelling. As far as I understand it, swelling can do more tissue damage than the injury itself. But ibuprofen can only do so much. I did expect more swelling than this.

When it happened, my first thought was, do I need to go to the hospital? If it was broken, that would be a yes. So I took off my shoe and wiggled the toe around a little, enough to be fairly convinced that there was no break. I was pretty sure there were going to be some stretched ligaments in there somewhere though.

But over the course of the next couple of days, I gradually realized that there probably wasn't any ligament damage either. It was just healing way too quickly for that. Soon wiggling the toe was not too uncomfortable, though even now I can't put any weight on the pad of the toe itself, without sharp pain that seems to threaten further injury.

My guess is there may be some cartilage damage, which would suck, because that leg has already had other injuries that make it weaker than the left. But I figure, that's how it goes.

By the way, aren't my two big toes awesome? I love their shape.

Anyway, new shelves! New table! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment